Pet travel between the UK and EU countries after Brexit

22 Dec 2020 | Other news, Pet Advice

Pets sitting by suitcases

Pet Travel Within the EU – Animal Health Certificates


From 1st January 2021, Great Britain will have ‘Part 2 listed’ status.

This will mean:

  • Current EU passports for pets are no longer valid after 1 January 2021
  • Animal Health Certificates (AHC) will be required for pet dogs, cats and ferrets
  • You can obtain an AHC from a government certified official vet (OV) which some of our vets are at QVH. 

When do I need an AHC and how do I get one?

  • AHC to be issued within 10 days of planned entry into the EU
  • Required for a single trip for entry to the EU
  • Required for Onward travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue
  • Valid for Re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue.

Vets will have a 2 part process:

Pet must be microchipped & have had a rabies vaccination at least 21 days before travel.

Part 1: Pre-travel consultation (establish all the travel plans, details, timings, TPE etc) for checking information, plans, ID chips, vaccine status etc and planning.
Part 2: Examination, worming (if required) and AHC issue.

If you have any questions about the upcoming changes to travel within the EU, please drop us an email or give us a call: 01278 450080

Other related news